TC-Helicon Switch 6 Schematic!

// February 7th, 2015 // Gear

So, like I said in the last post, some things needed a little hacking before I use the VoiceLive 3 in a live performance. Namely, I needed MORE BUTTONZ!

When I ordered by VL3, I got a bonus pack with the Switch 3 external switch as a throw-in. After playing with it a bit, it was obvious that A) I needed more than 3 external buttons and B) the buttons were too close for my big, clumsy feet.

As it happens, TC recently released a 6-button external switch box called (obviously) Switch 6. The same switches, same spacing, just more of them. I need my big, beefy Nektar NP1 pedals (these are what I’ve been using to trigger the TC-Helicon Harmony G-xt and the Freeze). But first, I’d need to figure out how the Switch 6 works…

I ordered the Switch 6, and it arrived today, looking like this:
2015-02-07 14.36.32

It’s solidly built- a steel chassis with the standard spring-touch momentary switches that TC uses in everything else. There are twelve T10 torx screws in the base, holding it together (4 of them are under rubber feet at each corner).

After removing the back, the internal design is pretty simple: a 1/4″ TRS jack connected to a long, narrow PCB with each of the six switches soldered to it with some resistors. There are a total of seven resistors, and they all bear the same color code (that of a 10k 5% tolerance 1/4 watt carbon film type).

2015-02-07 14.40.192015-02-07 14.40.27

Following the PCB traces, and confirmed by testing with a multimeter reveal this to be the schematic of the device:

Now, I know how to build my own (and so do YOU), it’s time to incorporate my trusty Nektar pedals into a 6 switch design to use with my new VoiceLive 3!

18 Responses to “TC-Helicon Switch 6 Schematic!”

1. Deny says:

He dude , did it work?

• jamie says:

Yes, it works. I’m currently waiting on a new enclosure, but I’ve built a test circuit which works perfectly with VoiceLive 3!

2. Steve Meiers says:

Thank you from another Bigfoot!

3. Nobbi says:

Hi Jamie,

I’m a little bit irritated in case of the color code which I can see at the pic above. As far as I know, the color code for resistors is international standard, isn’t it? But for a resistor of 10 kohm / 5% tolerance the color code is Brown, black, orange, gold (4 Bands) And for 10 kohm / 2% tolerance the color code is Brown, black, black, red, red (5 Bands). What kind of mistake I made?

Greetz, Nobbi

4. Lead Foot says:

I see 5 Bands .Brown Black Black Red Brown . 5 Bands.. Would this not suggest 10kOhm 1% . Just my 1% worth

5. Dan says:

Just wanted to say thanks. I wired one up and the wiring part works great.

I made mine with 5 normal switches and one 1/4 inch jack that hooks to a sustain pedal. I mapped that to the momentary harmony function on the Play Electric. It works great: step on the sustain pedal for a touch of harmony. I made it out of a low tool box, which looks cool, but there’s give in the housing when I step on the middle switches so I want to redo.

But aside from that, it works great. Thanks again.

6. tpc says:

Per Nobbi & Lead Foot’s point: The resistors are 5-band 10K 1%. Note the 1st and last band are the same color; a version of brown (on a pinkish body). A 10K 5% resistor would have only 4 bands (Brown, Black, Orange, Gold) and a 2% would be similar but Brown, Black, Orange, Red.

Because the resistors create a resistor ladder / voltage divider to sense which switch is depressed, the 1% value is going to provide more accurate sense voltages.

7. Savio says:

What are the chassis dimensions?

8. Savio says:

BTW, thank you very much!

9. Craig says:

Is it possible to easily relocate the jack to the side of the switch 6?

10. Marshall says:

Thanks… Followed that schematic and buit mine:

11. Paolo says:

yeah! it works with live touch 2. Thanks 😉

12. Alastair Mackie says:

Sorry for waking up an old thread, but I have a question which you might be able to answer.

I am interested in a switch 6, but would only like to use 4 of the 6 with the VL3. The other two I would like to connect to a Source Audio Soleman Foot Controller, which has an input for two external foot switches (they give as example a Boss FS-6).

I would use these other two scroll through presets, so ideally they would be the two switches with the arrows. The others would be used to control the looper on the VL3.

So, is it possible to disconnect two switches within the Switch-6 and connect them to another TRS jack for which I’ll drill a new hole?

Thanks very much.

13. Alex says:

It works like a charm! Thanks!!

14. Hurricane Ramon says:

Hello Jamie :

Your DIY Switch 6 – is it still up and running ?

I want to make one too .

Thanks for the info on this you have posted .

15. Hurricane Ramon says:

I checked you vids out , you sing really well , how is the VL3 working out ?

I just got a VL3X .

I like the acoustic BodyRez presets , they work well ,
    It’s true these units take time to get wired I had a DAW Digitech GNX4 8track looper , it was a ball buster to learn someone stole it . The VL3X replaces it .

Your DIY Switch 6 I was searching out a schematic online and that’s how I found you .

Thanks again for posting your schematic .

16. Hurricane Ramon says:

¿ Hey man – you still on this planet ?
    i would like to chat about this Switch 6 you made .